Sunday, February 1, 2009

Metal: You Really Can't Kill It

In 2 days, one of my favorite metal bands, Cannibal Corpse, is releasing their new album, Evisceration Plague, and I am too god damn happy. I got an advance copy of it and it kicks ass. One of the sickest metal albums I've heard in a while. So why isn't this album getting the hype it needs to? Because it's a metal album. Metal has been underestimated for years, which is why I thank the Grammy people for making a metal field this year. Even so, the last two metal albums that got the most hype lately were Metallica's Death Magnetic and Guns 'N Roses' Chinese Democracy. Don't get me wrong, they're both amazing records, but we need to get these other bands up in the charts. One of my favorite metal albums last year was Opeth's Watershed. I heard about the band from a friend and picked up the album. So how come a great record can only be transferred by word of mouth? Does radio not have the balls to put some of these not so well known bands on their stations? Come on. Another great metal album from last year was Rage's Carved In Stone. These guys have been rocking since 1984, and I only heard about them last month. Sure, they're fucking megastars in Germany, but that's no excuse. And I'm even surprised that these guys can still keep rocking without radio play. Cannibal Corpse, Rage, Opeth, and others like Cradle Of Filth, Destroy Destroy Destroy, Dream Theater, and more, have all been around before and since the 90s, and I haven't heard crap from any of them on the radio. The only way I find them is from the iTunes store and friends. If you look on the iTunes store, these are the top 10 songs:

1. My Life Would Suck Without You - Kelly Clarkson
2. Prom Queen - Lil' Wayne
3. Gives You Hell - The All-American Rejects
4. Just Dance - Lady GaGa
5. You Found Me - The Fray
6. Single Ladies - Beyoncé
7. Heartless - Kanye West
8. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
9. Circus - Britney Spears
10. I Hate This Part - The Pussycat Dolls

The top albums are:

1. 10 Greatest Hits - Credence Clearwater Revival
2. Working On A Dream (Deluxe Edition) - Bruce Springsteen
3. Soundtrack - Slumdog Millionaire
4. Working On A Dream - Bruce Springsteen
5. We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. - Jason Mraz
6. Tonight: Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
7. Soundtrack - Twilight
8. Fearless - Taylor Swift
9. For(n)ever - Hoobastank
10. 808s & Heartbreak - Kanye West

What kind of world do we live in where Britney fucking Spears has the #9 spot on the top 100 list and The Offspring comes in at fucking #98. What kind of world do we live in where Credence fucking Clearwater Revival and two fucking Bruce Springsteens rank over Led Zeppelin and Rise Against?! I don't fuckin' know. So, to educate the minds of the radio-controlled human population, I give you (my list of) the top 10 greatest metal albums of all time.

1. Master Of Puppets - Metallica
2. Wathershed - Opeth
3. Awake - Dream Theater
4. Seasons In The Abyss - Slayer
5. The Mob Rules - Black Sabbath
6. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - AC/DC
7. In Sorte Diaboli - Dimmu Borgir
8. Group Therapy - Dope
9. Cannibal - Static-X
10. Tomb Of The Mutilated - Cannibal Corpse

Listen with caution. And by that, I mean don't let your head explode from the awesomeness.

No comments: